Meet Dr. John Allen
John Allen, DMD, MS
“I feel that I am very fortunate to be doing what I have always wanted to do. It is very easy to get up in the morning, knowing that I will be helping those in my community by improving their health and well-being. I consider it a privilege to be a surgeon and as such, I regard it as a responsibility to my community and to myself.” – Dr. Allen
Education and Continuing Education
Dr. John Allen has practiced general dentistry and oral and maxillofacial surgery for over 20 years. He began his formal education at the University of British Columbia, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology in 1983. Following his undergraduate education, Dr. Allen continued on at the University of British Columbia to earn his Doctorate of Medical Dentistry in 1993.
In order to become a specialist in oral and maxillofacial surgery, Dr. Allen received years of advanced training and education through fellowships and residencies at some of the finest institutions in the country.
- General Practice Residency in Hospital Dentistry – University of Southern California/Los Angeles Medical Center, 1999
- Internship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, 2000
- Residency in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – St. Luke’s/Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY 2004
- Fellowship in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery/Reconstruction and Orthognathic Surgery – Emory University Hospitals, 2005
- Faculty, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – Emory University Hospitals, Atlanta, GA, 2007
- Faculty, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery – St. Luke’s/Roosevelt Hospital Center, 2008
In addition to being involved in two local study clubs, Dr. Allen attends annual conferences and lectures to stay current with the latest advancements in medicine and dentistry in order to serve his patients to the best of his ability. Dr. Allen is also certified in general anesthesia and advanced cardiac life support.
- Diplomate, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Fellow, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons
- Diplomate, National Dental Board of Anesthesiology
- Fellow, American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- American Dental Association
- California Dental Association
Outside the Office
Originally from Vancouver, BC, Dr. Allen currently resides in Canyon Lake, CA with his wife, Monica, and their Pomeranian, Fabian. His free time is spent watching baseball and basketball, skiing, golfing, attending the opera and theatre, and traveling. Dr. Allen is also involved in his local church and participates in humanitarian medical missions in third-world countries.